Copyright © Sealy Main Street. All Rights Reserved
History of Kroener’s Variety Store (currently Superette) next to Meyer Drug
Max Kroener sold candies, assorted merchandise, glassware, pots and pans, clothing, socks and school supplies. Later the White’s Home and Auto Store was located in the building.
Kroener’s Variety Store was built after 1908, probably in 1914 or later
History of W. E. Schier & Co. (currently 99 Cent store)
It appears that the W. E. Schier & Co. store was built prior to 1908 and is older than the two buildings, Kroener’s Variety (currently Superette) and Meyer Drug (currently vacant), just south of Schier.
W. E. Schier & Co. sold dry goods, groceries, hardware and crockery per sign on building in 1908.
William Edward Schier and his wife Olga Karoline Klopsteck Schier bought the home located on Columbus Road that was built by C. T. Sanders in the early 1880s. The Schiers bought the house in 1906 and lived there until their deaths. William Edward Schier lived to be 85 and his wife Olga Karoline Klopsteck Schier lived to be 91. The Schiers had five children.
William Edward Schier was born in 1876 in Texas. His parents were from Germany.
In 1909 W. E Schier went to Natchez, Mississippi to acquire machinery for the Sealy Oil Mill. The mill was built in 1911 and is located at the far east end of Main Street and is now owned by Steinhauser’s. W. E. Schier served as manager of the Sealy Oil Mill from 1910 until 1957. The mill made oil, cake, hulls and cottonseed meal from cotton seed.
W. E. Schier was also associated with the Sealy National Bank, one of the first banks in Sealy.
History of Meyer Drug
Next door to the Felcman Confectionery is the old Meyer Drug Store that was built in 1914. The builder broke ground on Wednesday morning, July 29, 1914 according to the July 30, 1914 issue of the Sealy News. W. F. Meyer and Company opened on Fowlkes Street in 1907 in a small one-story frame building that was next door to the brick building constructed in 1914.
The original tile entry is still in place and reads “W. F. Meyer.”
Before the red brick building was built for Meyer Drug, there was a two-story frame building in that location. W. A. Sanders owned a shoe store that was housed in the old frame building.
By 1939 Meyer Drug had filled 200,000 prescriptions and 50,000 refills according to an article in the Sealy News.
In 1947 Meyer Drug was sold to Carl Nastoupil and the name was changed to Carl’s Pharmacy. Carl Nastoupil’s son, Raymond, acquired the business in 1957 and named it Ray’s Pharmacy. He moved his pharmacy to Meyer Street (State Hwy 36) in 1962. The building housed pharmacies for 48 years. C. J. Kallus worked in the watch repair department within the pharmacy while it was owned by Carl Nastoupil.